B. Wilkinson, 2 Hobbs Close, Abingdon, Oxon, OX14 3UX, Great Britain
The James White Award for 2001 was won by David Levine, a US fan based in Portland Oregon, with his short story Nucleon. His story is to be published in Interzone.The James White Award for 2002 is now open and full details can be found at the award's Website at http://www.jameswhiteaward.com
The Cross Baltic Fandom List (CBFL) is contact and discussion list for science fiction, fantasy and fandom matters concerning the Baltic Sea region. It isn't formally connected to the Baltcon, but discusses Baltcon matters. It is unmoderated. You can post and discuss virtually anything (the problem isn't too much activity, but too low!). You don't have to live in the Baltic region to join. Members include fans from Lithuania, Latvia, Finland and Sweden. To join, mail CBFL-request[at]dang.se (with "subscribe" in the subject line). (Ahrvid Engholm)
Carlos Gardini won the UPC Prize 2001 with his novella "El libro de las voces". A special mention went to Javier Negrete for "El mito de Er". The ceremony took place on the 28th of November on the north campus of the Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya in Barcelona. This prize is for new works in SF.
Eurocon 2002 will take place in Chotebor, near to Prague. There will be sightseeing tours before the con 1-3 July and the con itself will take place 3-7 July. Features will include conventional SF events, RPGs(iIncluding live-action), Star Trek, science and SF, anime, awards, an art show, concerts, etc. The guests include Russian SF author Kir Bulychov (one of whose novels was published in English during the 1980s) who is an excellent speaker, and although less well known in the west than the Strugatskys is well worth seeking out. Others include George R Martin, Robert Holdstock (who need no introduction) and Polish SF author Andrzej Sapkowski, a Polish fantasy author who really should be translated too.
Membership is 25 USD, hotels vary from 25-35 USD per night down to hostels at 5 USD per night, and if you are really broke you can crash on a sports hall floor for free (bring your own sleeping bag – and matress I should think!).
Once in the Czech Republic fares are cheap – Prague/Chotebor 3 USD, as is food (4 USD per day) and most important of all in the Czech Republic, beer. Excellent stuff it is too. Prague is worth seeing – whether as part of the con group or not, and so is much of the rest of the country. Contact:: http://www.avalcon.cz, http://eurocon2002.scifi.cz or avalcon[at]avalcon.cz. I don't currently have a snail-mail address.
The British Worldcon bid are also making the best of their country as a tourist venue, and publicising events taking place at about the same time. Would you believe the Shetland Storytelling Festival Lerwick, Isle of Shetland? Mind you, that's rather a long way north. How about the Falmouth Regatta Week, Cornwall, then? Or p'raps that's a bit far in the other direction... Just bear in mind that if you do try to go the Edinburgh International or Fringe festivals it'd be a good idea to book well in advance, or you will find yourself taking a hotel in Lerwick or Stromness. Book first, then vote? Well, probably not quite that early. Visit Britain, from whom they nicked all that info, hang out at http://www.visitbritain.com/. For the con itself, see over. Vote early, vote.....
...and I find myself counting those who are missing again. Too many writers, too many magazines. Many thanks to those who've kept sending me information, 'tho I *wish* that the Silesian SF club would use my new address. See above. Also, Dave Stewart, Dave Langford, Dave Lally, the SFCD, 42, SFFranco, RoFandom and others. All the best for the New Year.
* = New or Amended entry
Nordcon 15: 5 – 9 December, Jastrzebia Góra, Poland. Contact: Gdanski Klub Fantastyki, PO Box 76, 80-325 Gdansk 37, Poland; papier[at]gkf.3miasto.pl; tel. +48 58 5531073
Dracon: 7-9 December, Brno, Czech Republic. Contact: Dracon, P.O.Box 130, 615 00 Brno, Czech Republic (http://www.dracon.cz; dracon[at]dracon.cz).
Smofcon 19 7-9 December, York, UK. International Con running con. Att. 25 UKP. Contact: KIM Campbell, 69 Lincoln St Leeman Rd, York, YO26 4YP, UK. kcampbell[at]cix.co.uk; http://www.smofcon19.org.
* Barnacon: Spanish National SF con. No date yet. Contact: http://www.cienciaficcion.org/~barnacon/ or organizacion[at]barnacon.com.
Children's Fantasy Fiction: debates for the 21st century: 7-9 January, Reading, UK. Academic conference. Contact: Helen Briscoe, Conference Administrator, MCCA, Liverpool John Moores University, Dean Walters Building, St. James Road, Liverpool, L1 7BR, UK. (h.briscoe[at]livjm.ac.uk)
* Picocon 19: 9 February, London, UK. GoH: Anne Gay, China Miéville, Stan Nicholls. Att: 8 UKP (5 UKP students). Email: john[at]golgotha.org.uk; http://www.su.ic.ac.uk/icsf/social/events/picocon.html
* Contabile-Fortean: (filk), 1-3 February, Basingstoke, UK. 25UKP 'til, 31/12/02. Contact: Contabile-Fortean, 34 Star Rd, Isleworth, Middlesex, TW7 4HB. (contabile-14[at]filk.org.uk)
* Ad-Astra: 8-10 February, Toronto, Canada. GoH: Guy Gavriel Kay, Alan Lee. Contact: http://www.ad-astra.org/; email:info[at]ad-astra.org.
* Roscon: 14-17 February, Moscow, Russia. Contact: (Email: http://www.convent.ru/; roscon[at]rambler.ru)
* Microcon: 2-3 March, Exeter University, UK. Contact: 79 Alphington Rd, Exeter EX2 8JE. Phone 07740423320. (J.B.Foster[at]exeter.ac.uk)
* MeCoN V 8-10 March: Belfast, Northern Ireland. GoH: David Wingrove, Ian McDonald, Ken McLeod, Michael Cobley. (email: meconv[at]hotmail.com; http://www.mecon.org )
Swancon 28 March-1 April, Perth, WA, Australia. GoH John McDouall. Att. $110. Contact: Swancon, P.O. Box G429 Perth WA 6841, Australia. (2002[at]sf.org.au; http://www.swancon.com
* Helicon 2 (Eastercon): 29 March-1 April, Jersey, UK. Att. 35UKP 'til 1/1/02. Contact: Helicon 2, 33 Meyrick Drive, Wash Common, Berkshire RG14 6SY, UK (email: helicon2[at]smof.demon.co.uk;; http://www.helicon.org.uk/)
Dort.Con 2002: 13-14 April, Dortmund, Germany. GoH: Norman Spinrad, Andreas Eschbach. Att. 35 DM ('til 31/12/2001). Contact: Michael Ehrt, Eichenwald 6, D-58579 Schalksmühle, Germany. (tel.: 0049 (0)2351/95 24 22, Dort.Con[at]erco.com)
Damn Fine.. Convention: (Twin Peaks) 3-6 May, Shepperton, UK. Att. Norwegians 0UKP, others 20UKP. Contact: Damn Fine Convention, 37 Keens Road, Croydon, CR0 1AH, ENGLAND. email: info[at]damnfineconvention.org.uk ; http://www.damnfineconvention.org.uk
Con With the Wind: 31 May-3 June, Wellington, New Zealand. New Zealand NatCon. GoH Joe & Gay Haldeman, Dan Hennah, Lucy Sussex, Yvonne Harrison, Alan Robson. Att. $80 Supp. $30. Contact: CON With The Wind, PO Box 11-559, Manners St, Wellington, NewZealand. (enquiries[at]con-with-the-wind.sf.org.nz; http://con-with-the-wind.sf.org.nz/)
Downunder con festival: 1-30 June. SF con every weekend. (Combined with a bid for Corflu) Contact: Eric Lindsay, PO Box 640, Airlie Beach, Qld 4802, Australia. (email: eric[at]wrevenge.com.au)
Convergence: 41st Australian NatCon: 7-10 June, Melbourne, Australia. GoH Joe Haldeman, Sean Williams, Gay Haldeman, Lucy Sussex, Jack Dann, Race Mathews. Att. $130 'til 30/10/01. Contact: Convergence, GPO Box 1212k Melbourne Vic 3001, Australia http://www.vicnet.net.au/~converge/; contact-convergence[at]egroups.c om
AustriaCon: 8-9 June, Graz, Austria. Contact: Bernd Hubich, postlagernd, Postamt Peter Tunnergasse 49, A-8029 Graz, Austria. (prsg[at]gms.at; http://www.prsg.at)
Relaxa.con: 14-17 June, Airlie Beach, Qld, Australia.Contact: Eric Lindsay, PO Box 640, Airlie Beach, Qld 4802, Australia. email: eric[at]wrevenge.com.au; http://www.ericlindsay.com/relaxa.con/
ColoniaCon 15: SFCD Con., 22-23 June, Köln, Germany. Contact: Helmuth Freisinger, Schirmerstrasse 36, 50823 Koln, Germany. (http://www.coloniacon.de).
Science Fiction Research Association conference: 28 June-1 July, New Lanark, Scotland. Academic conference. Theme: Utopia. GoH: Pat Cadigan, Paul McAuley, Ken MacLeod, Andy Sawyer. Contact: farah[at]fjm3.demon.co.uk
* Eurocon 2002: 1-7 July, Chotebor (and Prague), Czech Republic. Prague visit 1-3. GoH: G.R.R.Martin, K.Bulycov, R.Holdstock, A.Sapkowski. Att: $20/$25. Contact SFC Avalon, c/o vaclav.pravda[at]seznam.cz; http://www.avalcon.cz/
U-CON: 41st Japan National SF Con., 13-14 July, Shimane, Japan. Contact: http://homepage2.nifty.com/u-con/; email: u-con[at]mbf.nifty.com
* Contexxt: Unicon 2002 9-11 August, Cheltenham, UK. GoH Keith Brooke. Att. 25 UKP 'til 2/04/02. Contact: Contexxt, 17 Cow Lane, Didcot, Oxon, OX11 7SZ. (Email: contexxt[at]unicon.org.uk; http://www.unicon.org.uk)
Discworld Convention 2002: 16-19 August, Hinckley, UK. GoH: Terry Pratchett. Contact: send an SAE to Discworld Convention 2002, 23 Medora Road, Romford, RM7 7EP, UK. http://www.dwcon.org/; email: info[at]dwcon.org; mailing list http://www.dwcon.org/mai lman/listinfo/2002/
* 29th French National SF Con: 29 August-1 September, Liège, Belgium. Att. Euro 45 'til 30/04/02, Euro 55 on door. Contact: Alain le Bussy, rue du Cimetière, 21, 4130 Esneux, Belgium. (http://users.skynet.be/jlf/sf/convsf.html
* Con Jose (Worldcon): 29 August-2 September, 2002, San Jose, USA. GoH Vernor Vinge, David Cherry, Bjo & John Trimble, Ferdinand Feghoot, Tad Williams. Att. $160 'til 31/12/01, $ 180 'til 31/07/02. Contact: Con Jose, PO Box 61363, Sunnyvale, CA 94088-1363, USA. (Email: info[at]conjose.org; http://www.conjose.org/)
* Filkcontinental: 4-7 October, Freusburg, Germany. Contact: http://www.filkcontinental.de/2002/index.html.
* Elstercon: 20-22 October, Leipzig, Germany. Contact: Manfred Orlowski, Ernestistrasse 6, 04277 Leipzig, Germany.
* Octocon: 19-20 October, Dun Laoghaire, Ireland. GoH: China Miéville. Att. £10 'til 31/12/01. Contact: http://www.octocon.com, octocon2001[at]yahoo.co.uk) UK agent, Dave Lally, 64 Richborne Tce, London, SW8 1AX.
* Novacon 32: 1-3 November, Walsall, UK. GoH: Ian McDonald. Att: 32UKP 'til Easter, 35UKP 'til 20/10/02, 40UKP on door. Contact: Novacon, 379 Myrtle Road, Sheffield, S2 3HQ. (Email: xl5[at]zoom.co.uk)
World Fantasy Con: 1-4 November, Montreal, PQ, Canada. GoH:Fred Saberhagen. Contact: Bruce Farr, 7002 N.6th Ave,Phoenix, AZ, 85021, USA; 2001wfc[at]yahoo.com
***********5 – 8 grudnia – Nordcon (Jastrzebia Góra, org. GKF)
************Nordcon 15: 5 – 9 December, 2001 Jastrzebia Góra, Poland. Contact: Gdanski Klub Fantastyki, PO Box 76, 80-325 Gdansk 37, Poland; papier[at]gkf.3miasto.pl; tel. +48 58 5531073
* Seacon 03 (Eastercon): 18-23 April, Hinckley, UK. GoH: Chris Baker, Chris Evans, Mary Gentle. Att: 35UKP. Contact: 8 The Orchard, Tonwell, Herts, SG12 0HR, UK. (http://www.seacon03.org.uk/info[at]seacon03.org.uk)
Emoticon: Easter, Auckland, New Zealand. New Zealand NatCon. Contact: enquiries[at]emoticon.sf.org.nz
ConStruction: 5-6 July, Cardiff, Wales. Contact: 37 St. Peters Street, Duxford, Cambridge, CB2 4RP, UK. Conrunning. Postponed from 2001. (email: Construction[at]dragonevents.ltd.uk www.DragonEvents.ltd.uk)
Torcon III (Worldcon): 28 August-1 September, Toronto, Canada. Att: $170. GoH: George R.R. Martin Frank Kelly Freas Mike Glyer, Spider Robinson, Robert Bloch. Contact: PO Box 3, Station A, Toronto, ON, M5W 1A2, Canada, email: info[at]torcon3.on.ca http://www.torcon3.on.ca
CONTOUR 2004: 31 May-3 June. Proposed as New Zealand's 25th National SF Con. Rotorua. enquiries[at]contour.sf.org.nz
* T-con 2003: or T3. 42nd Japan National SF Con: 19-21 July, Shiobara-cho, Tochigi, Japan. Contact: http://www.t-con2003.gr.jp/ contact[at]t-con2003.gr.jp.
*Noreascon Four: Worldcon, 2-6 September, USA. Contact: P.O. Box 1010 Frammingham MA 01701, USA, (info[at]mcfi.org; http://www.mcfi.org; or Tim or Marcia Illingworth)
Great Britain Worldcon Bid 25/8/2005-29/8/2005. Location: Glasgow. Pre-support: UKP5, Eur8, $8, A$12, NZ$15, Yen950. Contact: UK in 2005, 379 Myrtle Road, Sheffield, S.Yorks, S2 3HQ, UK. (email: uk2005[at]hotmail.com; http://www.uk2005.org.uk)
There are rumours of an Australian bid for Worldcon in Melbourne: get the gossip at http://www.egroups.com/invite/aussiecon4 Japan have officially announced for 2007 details at: http://www.nippon2007.org
There are rumours that Australia may move to 2009...
Thanks for help, info, etc. to Roger Robinson, Dave Langford & others.
Aussie events: annual calendar at http://www.vicnet.net.au/~sfoz/2001cal.htm