B. Wilkinson, 2 Hobbs Close, Abingdon, Oxon, OX14 3UX, Great Britain
John Mansfield's convention-running newsletter has been the most recent to fold within fandom. His reasons including general tiredness after 13 years, but also the declining state of Canadian fandom, and that he dislikes both the ructions over the Auroras and the way that the few remaining conventions are now being run.
Apart from his work on ConTRACT John was the chair of the 1994 Worldcon in Winnipeg, Canada, and was agent for British conventions. He intends to remain active in gaming (he runs a games shop and meetings) and I hope to see him at some future conventions over here or elsewhere. Thanks John.
Some of his dislike of what is going on may be purely personal, or related to burnout after a lot of work over many years, but the decline in the number of conventions is real, not only in Canada, but also over much of the English speaking world. I haven't been following the exact number of US conventions, but some years back there was an SF convention just about every other weekend in Britain. The number of weekend SF cons in Britain is now fewer than in Germany or Poland (many of those listed here are one day, borderlines of SF, or academic SF conferences, rather than mainstream SF cons – 'tho none the worse for that).
There has been a similar shrinkage in fanzines. Andromeda Nachrichten is as dependable as ever, as is the SKF's Miesiecznik ('tho I wish they'd update me on their address list) and the BSFA zines, and the Irish SF newszine keeps going among the changes of title, editor, etc., but recent casualties have included the Australian SF Bullsheet, ConTRACT and the distribution of Ansible at the Florence Nightingale pub (not that I've been that dependable either).
The number of SF books is actually quite healthy, in this country at least, and awareness and acceptance of SF and Fantasy as great as it has probably ever been. The two biggest films in the UK in 2001 were fantasy – Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings, and it looks as if they are picking up film awards too. Yes, special effects technology is now up to it, but this is unprecedented. Numbers of younger British SF writers are now in print too – thanks in part to Interzone and the small press scene. (See BBR for details of this: http://www.bbr-online.com/directory). SF too mainstream? Perhaps, but then why is the scene in Poland, Ireland and Finland so healthy? Hmm. Better brush up my Polish.
* = New or Amended entry
* Barnacon: Spanish National SF con. No date yet. Contact: http://www.cienciaficcion.org/~barnacon/ or organizacion[at]barnacon.com.
Children's Fantasy Fiction: debates for the 21st century: 7-9 January, Reading, UK. Academic conference. Contact: Helen Briscoe, Conference Administrator, MCCA, Liverpool John Moores University, Dean Walters Building, St. James Road, Liverpool, L1 7BR, UK. (h.briscoe[at]livjm.ac.uk)
* Krakon 2002: 24-27 January, Krakow, Poland. Contact: http://krakon.vrpg.net
* Contabile-Fortean: (filk), 1-3 February, Basingstoke, UK. Contact: Contabile-Fortean, 34 Star Rd, Isleworth, Middlesex, TW7 4HB. (contabile-14[at]filk.org.uk)
* Picocon 19: 9 February, London, UK. GoH: Anne Gay, China Miéville, Stan Nicholls. Att: 8 UKP (5 UKP students). Email: john[at]golgotha.org.uk; http://www.su.ic.ac.uk/icsf/social/events/picocon.html
* Reminiscon 50: 9 February, Cardiff, Wales. 50 years of Lionel Fanthorpe. Contact: The Fanthorpe Mnagement Consultancy, 48 Claude Road, Roath, Cardiff CF24 3QA, UK.
* Ad-Astra: 8-10 February, Toronto, Canada. GoH: Guy Gavriel Kay, Alan Lee. Contact: http://www.ad-astra.org/; email:info[at]ad-astra.org.
* Corflu 19 (Corflu Valentine): 14-17 February, Annapolis, MD, USA. A convention for fanzine fans. Contact: Corflu, PO Box 178, St. Leonard, MD 20685, USA or 48 The Crescent, Walthamstow, LONDON E17 8AB, UK. (Corflu19[at]popfire.net; http://come.to/corflu
* Roscon: 14-17 February, Moscow, Russia. Contact: (Email: http://www.convent.ru/; roscon[at]rambler.ru)
* Microcon: 2-3 March, Exeter University, UK. Contact: 79 Alphington Rd, Exeter EX2 8JE. Phone 07740423320. (J.B.Foster[at]exeter.ac.uk)
* MeCoN V 8-10 March: Belfast, Northern Ireland. GoH: David Wingrove, Ian McDonald, Ken McLeod, Michael Cobley. (email: meconv[at]hotmail.com; http://www.mecon.org )
* Pyrkon: 15-17 March, Poznan, Poland. Contact: http://www.zaibatsu.pl/drugaera; gender[at]kki.net.pl
* Swancon 28 March-1 April, Perth, WA, Australia. GoH: Kim Wilkins, John McDouall. Att. $110. Contact: Swancon, P.O. Box G429 Perth WA 6841, Australia. (2002[at]sf.org.au; http://www.swancon.com)
* Helicon 2 (Eastercon): 29 March-1 April, Jersey, UK. Att. 35UKP 'til 1/1/02. Contact: Helicon 2, 33 Meyrick Drive, Wash Common, Berkshire RG14 6SY, UK (email: helicon2[at]smof.demon.co.uk;; http://www.helicon.org.uk/)
* Filkontario 12: 5-7 April, Mississauga, ON, Canada. Filk convention. GoH:Joey Shoji. Contact: Filkontario, 145 Rice Ave, Unit 98, Hamilton, ON, L9C 6R3, Canada. (hayman[at]bserv.com)
Dort.Con 2002: 13-14 April, Dortmund, Germany. GoH: Norman Spinrad, Andreas Eschbach. Att. 35 DM ('til 31/12/2001). Contact: Michael Ehrt, Eichenwald 6, D-58579 Schalksmühle, Germany. (tel.: 0049 (0)2351/95 24 22, Dort.Con[at]erco.com)
Damn Fine.. Convention: (Twin Peaks) 3-6 May, Shepperton, UK. Att. Norwegians 0UKP, others 20UKP. Contact: Damn Fine Convention, 37 Keens Road, Croydon, CR0 1AH, ENGLAND. email: info[at]damnfineconvention.org.uk ; http://www.damnfineconvention.org.uk
Con With the Wind: 31 May-3 June, Wellington, New Zealand. New Zealand NatCon. GoH Joe & Gay Haldeman, Dan Hennah, Lucy Sussex, Yvonne Harrison, Alan Robson. Att. $80 Supp. $30. Contact: CON With The Wind, PO Box 11-559, Manners St, Wellington, NewZealand. (enquiries[at]con-with-the-wind.sf.org.nz; http://con-with-the-wind.sf.org.nz/)
Downunder con festival: 1-30 June. SF con every weekend. (Combined with a bid for Corflu) Contact: Eric Lindsay, PO Box 640, Airlie Beach, Qld 4802, Australia. (email: eric[at]wrevenge.com.au)
Convergence: 41st Australian NatCon: 7-10 June, Melbourne, Australia. GoH Joe Haldeman, Sean Williams, Gay Haldeman, Lucy Sussex, Jack Dann, Race Mathews. Att. $130 'til 30/10/01. Contact: Convergence, GPO Box 1212k Melbourne Vic 3001, Australia http://www.vicnet.net.au/~converge/; contact-convergence[at]egroups.c om
AustriaCon: 8-9 June, Graz, Austria. Contact: Bernd Hubich, postlagernd, Postamt Peter Tunnergasse 49, A-8029 Graz, Austria. (prsg[at]gms.at; http://www.prsg.at)
Relaxa.con: 14-17 June, Airlie Beach, Qld, Australia.Contact: Eric Lindsay, PO Box 640, Airlie Beach, Qld 4802, Australia. email: eric[at]wrevenge.com.au; http://www.ericlindsay.com/relaxa.con/
ColoniaCon 15: SFCD Con., 22-23 June, Köln, Germany. Contact: Helmuth Freisinger, Schirmerstrasse 36, 50823 Koln, Germany. (http://www.coloniacon.de).
Science Fiction Research Association conference: 28 June-1 July, New Lanark, Scotland. Academic conference. Theme: Utopia. GoH: Pat Cadigan, Paul McAuley, Ken MacLeod, Andy Sawyer. Contact: farah[at]fjm3.demon.co.uk
* Eurocon 2002: 1-7 July, Chotebor (and Prague), Czech Republic. Prague visit 1-3. GoH: G.R.R.Martin, K.Bulycov, R.Holdstock, A.Sapkowski. Att: $20/$25. Contact SFC Avalon, c/o vaclav.pravda[at]seznam.cz; http://www.avalcon.cz/
* Shore Leave 24: 12 – 14 July, Hunt Valley, MD, USA. Pre-reg deadline 31 May 02. Media. Contact: Shore Leave, PO Box 6809, Towson, MD 21285-6809, USA (tel: +1 410-496-4456; information[at]shore-leave.com; http://www.shore-leave.com)
U-CON: 41st Japan National SF Con., 13-14 July, Shimane, Japan. Contact: http://homepage2.nifty.com/u-con/; email: u-con[at]mbf.nifty.com
* Contexxt: Unicon 2002 9-11 August, Cheltenham, UK. GoH Keith Brooke. Att. 25 UKP 'til 2/04/02. Contact: Contexxt, 17 Cow Lane, Didcot, Oxon, OX11 7SZ. (Email: contexxt[at]unicon.org.uk; http://www.unicon.org.uk)
* Conversions 19: 9-11 August, Calgary, AB, Canada. GoH:Charles DeLint, Robert Sawyer, Jeff A.Lendis (Marslander). Att.$40.00 Contact: Conversions, PO Box 20098, Calgary Place RPO, Calgary, AB, T2P 4J2, Canada. (Fax +1 (403) 277-4251; http://www.con-version.org
Discworld Convention 2002: 16-19 August, Hinckley, UK. GoH: Terry Pratchett. Contact: send an SAE to Discworld Convention 2002, 23 Medora Road, Romford, RM7 7EP, UK. http://www.dwcon.org/; email: info[at]dwcon.org; mailing list http://www.dwcon.org/mai lman/listinfo/2002/
* 29th French National SF Con: 29 August-1 September, Liège, Belgium. Att. Euro 45 'til 30/04/02, Euro 55 on door. Contact: Alain le Bussy, rue du Cimetière, 21, 4130 Esneux, Belgium. (http://users.skynet.be/jlf/sf/convsf.html
* Polcon 2002: 29 August-1 September, Krakow, Poland. Polish National SF Con. Contact: Galicyjska Gildia Fanow Fantastyki, 31-469 Krakow, Ul. Mlynska 2/77, Poland.
* Con Jose (Worldcon): 29 August-2 September, 2002, San Jose, USA. GoH Vernor Vinge, David Cherry, Bjo & John Trimble, Ferdinand Feghoot, Tad Williams. Att. $160 'til 31/12/01, $ 180 'til 31/07/02. Contact: Con Jose, PO Box 61363, Sunnyvale, CA 94088-1363, USA. (Email: info[at]conjose.org; http://www.conjose.org/)
* Filkcontinental: 4-7 October, Freusburg, Germany. Contact: http://www.filkcontinental.de/2002/index.html.
* Elstercon: 20-22 September, Leipzig, Germany. GoH: Tim Powers, Mary Doria Russell. Contact: Manfred Orlowski, Ernestistrasse 6, 04277 Leipzig, Germany. (http://www.fksfl.de/; Dirk-Berger[at]gmx.de)
* Octocon: 19-20 October, Dun Laoghaire, Ireland. GoH: China Miéville, Morgan Llywelyn, Michael Scott. Att. 20 Euros 'til Easter, then 30 Euros 'til 01/10/02. (15; 22.5 UKP). Contact: http://www.octocon.com, octocon2001[at]yahoo.co.uk) UK agent, Dave Lally, 64 Richborne Tce, London, SW8 1AX.
* Novacon 32: 1-3 November, Walsall, UK. GoH: Ian McDonald. Att: 32UKP 'til Easter, 35UKP 'til 20/10/02, 40UKP on door. Contact: Novacon, 379 Myrtle Road, Sheffield, S2 3HQ. (Email: xl5[at]zoom.co.uk)
World Fantasy Con: 1-4 November, Montreal, PQ, Canada. GoH:Fred Saberhagen. Contact: Bruce Farr, 7002 N.6th Ave,Phoenix, AZ, 85021, USA; 2001wfc[at]yahoo.com
* Nordcon 15: 5 – 9 December, 2002 Jastrzebia Góra, Poland. Contact: Gdanski Klub Fantastyki, PO Box 76, 80-325 Gdansk 37, Poland; papier[at]gkf.3miasto.pl; tel. +48 58 5531073
* Seacon 03 (Eastercon): 18-23 April, Hinckley, UK. GoH: Chris Baker, Chris Evans, Mary Gentle. Att: 35UKP. Contact: 8 The Orchard, Tonwell, Herts, SG12 0HR, UK. (http://www.seacon03.org.uk/info[at]seacon03.org.uk)
Emoticon: Easter, Auckland, New Zealand. New Zealand NatCon. Contact: enquiries[at]emoticon.sf.org.nz
* ConStruction: 11-13 July, Cardiff, Wales. Contact: Dragon Events Ltd. Construction, 63 Providence Way, Wterbeach, Cambridgeshire, CB5 9QH, UK. Conrunning. Postponed from 2001. (email: Construction[at]dragonevents.ltd.uk www.DragonEvents.ltd.uk/construction)
* Finncon X: Finnish National SF Con (Bid for Eurocon 2003), 1-3 August, Turku, Finland. GoH: Michael Swanwick, Steve Sansweet, Boris Hurtta. Contact: Ben.Roimola[at]sci.fi
Torcon III (Worldcon): 28 August-1 September, Toronto, Canada. Att: $170. GoH: George R.R. Martin Frank Kelly Freas Mike Glyer, Spider Robinson, Robert Bloch. Contact: PO Box 3, Station A, Toronto, ON, M5W 1A2, Canada, email: info[at]torcon3.on.ca http://www.torcon3.on.ca
CONTOUR 2004: 31 May-3 June. Proposed as New Zealand's 25th National SF Con. Rotorua. enquiries[at]contour.sf.org.nz
* T-con 2003: or T3. 42nd Japan National SF Con: 19-21 July, Shiobara-cho, Tochigi, Japan. Contact: http://www.t-con2003.gr.jp/ contact[at]t-con2003.gr.jp.
*Noreascon Four: Worldcon, 2-6 September, USA. Contact: P.O. Box 1010 Frammingham MA 01701, USA, (info[at]mcfi.org; http://www.mcfi.org; or Tim or Marcia Illingworth)
* Concourse: A Bid for the 2004 Eastercon, 9th – 12th April 2004. Contact: http://www.eastercon.com/concourse; Concourse[at]ntlworld.com
Great Britain Worldcon Bid 25/8/2005-29/8/2005. Location: Glasgow. Pre-support: UKP5, Eur8, $8, A$12, NZ$15, Yen950. Contact: UK in 2005, 379 Myrtle Road, Sheffield, S.Yorks, S2 3HQ, UK. (email: uk2005[at]hotmail.com; http://www.uk2005.org.uk)
There are rumours of an Australian bid for Worldcon in Melbourne: get the gossip at http://www.egroups.com/invite/aussiecon4 Japan have officially announced for 2007 details at: http://www.nippon2007.org
There are rumours that Australia may move to 2009...
Thanks for help, info, etc. to Roger Robinson, Dave Langford & others.
Aussie events: annual calendar at http://www.vicnet.net.au/~sfoz/2002cal.htm