B. Wilkinson, Ground Floor Flat, 8 West Avenue Road, Walthamstow, E17 9SE, Great Britain
bjw[at]cix.compulink.co.uk fax: o181-925-7126
Recently the problems that Foundation had a few years back have been visited upon the Maison d'Ailleurs (the SF Museum) in Yverdon-les-Bains, Switzerland. The City Council has threatened to cut its budget by 70%. This would involve getting rid of the curator, Roger Gaillard, and opening the museum only on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday afternoons. This would be a recipe for slow suffocation.
The problems started at a Council meeting on the 7th of December, by the following week the Friends of the Maison d'Ailleurs (AMDA) had set up a defence committee along with numbers of the city residents. A petition was launched on the 19th of December against the Council decision. The Friends committee sent out a postal version of the petition to all members of the Friends. Copies of the petition reached Jean-Louis Trudel and Elizabeth Vonarburg in Canada, where they started up a petition on the Net. Andy Sawyer at the SF Foundation spread a postal version around, while copies from Andy and me were circulated by the Friends of Foundation, and further on the Net. (Text from the Amis de la Maison d'Ailleurs follows):
Announcement to the people who signed the petition for the Maison d'Ailleurs. Thanks!
Yesterday, Monday, January, 29th, the petition launched to save the House of Elsewhere was transmitted to the City Council of Yverdon. It bore no less than 7026 (seven thousand and twenty-six) signatures. This is quite a performance in so short a period of time. Geographic repartition is as follows : 2000 from Yverdon itself, 1000 from the neighbouring area, 3500 from the rest of Switzerland, and 500 from abroad, of which 250 French and 100 each from the UK and North America. Among the remainder, stemming from 13 European and 7 non-European countries, we got a fax from the Minister of Youth and Culture of Romania (a SF writer himself). The Support Committee and the Friends of the Museum Association (AMDA) Committee wish to thank all of you out there on the net who "Signed" the petition or were instrumental in spreading the word around the world, especially Elisabeth Vonarburg and Jean-Louis Trudel who started it all on the net. The City Council of Yverdon is due to gather on Thursday, February, 1st. Whether it is going to make a reasonable decision or not, we cannot forecast yet. Sorry. Keep your fingers crossed, we'll keep you informed in due time. Greetings to all of you out there and thank you very much again.
Laurent Mousson. Friends of the Museum Association (AMDA) Committee Secretary
P.S. In case you didn't make it, this also means that it's no use anymore to send your submission to the petition. Bad luck guys!
You may like to know I have discovered that there is a Czech Sf and Fantasy homepage, as well as a ZAKLADNA (Brno-based sf magazine, journal of the SF&F Writer's workshop) homepage, and a Web-version of the sf fanzine TROSKY. (All in Czech). If you're interested in looking at any of these, all three are available on the Czech Express homepage at http://cech.cesnet.cz. (Cyril Simsa)
Ellis Hillman: Unless you've heard already (I hadn't until I saw it on the front of the Barnet Borough Times), I thought you might appreciate being informed that Ellis Hillman died on the 20th. The Borough Times carries quite a substantial obituary as its front page lead (mostly, obviously, a political one, but mentions of the Lewis Carroll Society, the Flat Earth Society and Foundation), as well as (on an inside page) a review of a biography of Lewis Carroll that he'd written for them recently. (Peter Wilkinson)
Ellis Hillman was a long time member of the SF Foundation committee when it was at Barking, and a supportive member of the Polytechnic staff. He was one of those who worked to find the Foundation a new home during the bad period. More recently he was also Mayor of Barnet.
(*= New or amended entry)
OBLITER8: British National Filk Convention, 2-4 February 1996, Milton Keynes, UK. Contact: Obliter8, 212 Albert Road, Leyton, London, E10 6PD, UK. Email: Obliter8[at]oroes.demon.co.uk
Disection: 23-25 February, Sheffield, UK. Post Intersection relaxcon. Att. UKP24. Memberships close 12 January 1996. Contact: Disection, John Dowd, 4 Burnside Avenue, Sheffield. S8 9FR, UK.
Picocon 13: 4 February, London, UK. Att. UKP8. Contact: ICSF, Imperial College Union, Beit Quad, Prince Consort Road, South Kensington, London, UK. (e-mail: icsf[at]ic.ac.uk, http://www.ph.ic.ac.uk/moontg/)
MICROCON 16: 2-3 March, Exeter, UK. Contact: Microcon 16, c/o Darrel Manuel, Cornwall House, St. German's Rd., Exeter, EX4 6TG UK.
* Con*Cept/Boreal: March 21-23, Montreal, PQ, Canada. GoHs: Terry Pratchett, Joel Champetier, Bob Eggleton. Memb: C$24 till 08 MAR, 96. $29. at door. Contact: PO Box 405, Stn H, Montreal, PQ, H3G 2L1. (tel. +1- 800-561-4644)
8th SF days NRW: 22-24 March, Duesseldorf, Germany. Theme: religion. Att. 35DM. Contact: Heinrich Sporck, Am Sonnenberg 38, D-44879 Bochum 5, FRG. (tel. 49-234-461390)
Evolution: 5-8 April, Heathrow (London), UK. GOH: Vernor Vinge, Colin Greenland, Jack Cohen, Brian Talbot, Paul Kincaid, Maureen Kincaid Speller, att. UKP24, reduced rates for soft currency countries. Contact: Evolution, 13 Linfield Gardens, Hampstead, London, NW3 6PX, UK. email: bmh[at]ee.ic.ac.uk Net page: http://tardis.ed.ac.uk/~simon/evolve/
Eurocon/Baltcon/Lituanicon-96: April 25-28, Vilnius, Lithuania. Att. 10 USD in advance (by booking), 15 USD on the door. Contact: SF Club DORADO, Gediminas Beresnevicius, P.O. BOX 216 2040 Vilnius, Lithuania. (Fax: (3702) 766578, email: ruta.buivydiene[at]flf.vu.lt – put EUROCON or SF/FANTASY in the subject heading)
* Galaxiales 96: 23 French National SF Con, 2-5 May, Nancy, France. Att. 250 FF (Cheque to: A.P.L.P) 'til 1/04/95, then 300 FF. Contact : Stephane Nicot, BP 3687, 54097 NANCY Cedex, France. (tel. + 33 83-40-64-40)
* ConFusion: 3-5 May, Geraardsbergen, Belgium. Att. 890BEF 'til 1 April, then 990 BEF. Eurocheque to Peter Motte. Contact: Peter Motte, Abdijstraat 33, B-9500 Geraardsbergen, Belgium. (TriAngle BBS +32-54-42.23.20 – 28.800 Baud, 8N1, V.Fc.)
* Kontur: 16-19 May, Suprasl (nr. Bialyastok), Poland. SF con with live action RPG – Tolkien this year! Att. 45 New Zlotys. Contact: Kontur, Podlaskie Towartzystwo Milosnikow Fantastyki, ul. Piastowska 11a, 15-207, Bialystok, Poland.
* Elstercon: 17-19 May, Leipzig, Germany. GoH: Christopher Priest. Contact: Manfred Orlowski, Koernerstr 49, 04107 Leipzig, Germany (email: Andro[at]city.eurotel.sub.com)
* Wolfcon 007: May 17-20, Wolfville, NS, Canada. GoHs: C.J. Cherryh, Ted Raimi. Contact: PO Box 23116, Dartmouth, NS, B3A 4S9, Canada
* Keycon X111: 17-19 May, Winnipeg, MB, Canada. GoH Larry Niven, Tanya Huff, FanGoH:Sunshine Katz. Memb:$30.00 'til 02.01.96. Contact: PO Box 3178, Winnipeg, MB, R3C 4E6, Canada. Web: http://www.mcs.net/~star/html/keycon.
Constellation NZ Natcon: 31 May-3 Jun, Christchurch, New Zealand. Contact: Constellation, P.O. Box 29-119, Fendalton, Christchurch NZ. (email: c.brandenburg[at]lincoln.ac.nz)
* ColoniaCon 13: June 1-2, Cologne, Germany. SF, Multimedia. Theme: Propaganda – word and truth. Video workshop, ezines. GoH: John Shirley, Thomas Ziegler. May 31-June 2 party in camp outside the convention, inc. filk contest and barbecues. Att. 30 DM 'til 17/5/1996, 35 DM on door, Bank account: Deutsche Bank Koeln (BLZ 37070060), Nr. 3316171, Manfred Mueller. Contact: Manfred Mueller, Streitzzeugasse 6, D-50667 Koeln, Germany (e-mail: mmueller[at]texbox.lahn.de)
* Ad Astra 16: June 7-9, Toronto, ON, Canada. GoH: David Hartwell. Memb $25. now, $35 at door. Info: PO Box 7276, Station A, Toronto, ON, M5W 1X9, Canada
Speaking Science Fiction: 11-13 July, Liverpool University, UK. Conference on sf. Contact: Andy Sawyer c/o Special Collections, Sydney Jones Library, University of Liverpool, P. O. Box 123, Liverpool, L69 3DA, UK.
Faircon: 12-14 July, Glasgow, UK. Contact: Flat 3/2, 226 Woodlands Road, Glasgow G3 3DA, UK.
Conversion 13/Canvention 96: 19-21 July, Calgary, AB, Canada. GoH: C.J.Cherryh. Contact: PO Box 1088, Station M, Calgary, AB, T2P 2K9, Canada. tel (403)259-3938
Albacon '96: 26-29 July. Glasgow, UK. Att. 30UKP. Contact: Albacon, 10 Atlas Rd., Springburn, Glasgow, G21 4TE Scotland. (email: albacon[at]srian.demon.co.uk)
SaarCon: 26-28 July, Saarbruecken, Germany. SFCD annual convention. Themes: eastern European SF, history of fandom. Some English language programme. SF radio play. 30 DM 'til 31.12.1995. Contact: Juergen G. Marzi, Scharnhorststr. 27, D-56073 Koblenz, FRG. (tel.+49-261-48259, Email 110112.352[at]compuserve.com or jmarzi[at]texbox.lahn.de)
LACon III: 26 Aug-2 September, Los Angles, USA. Worldcon. Contact: SCFI, PO Box 8442, Van Nuys, CA, USA, 91409. (Email: Lacon3-info[at]netcom.com)
* Northstar 1: 5-8 September, Vancouver, Canada. GoH:SM Stirling, FanGoH: R.Graeme Cameron. $65.00 at door. Contact: PO Box 61007, 571 West 57th Ave, Vancouver, BC, V6P 6S5. (tel. +1(604)951-7827, Email:cathy_mayo[at]mindlink.bc.ca, http://mindlink.net/Gordon_Smith/nstar.html)
* Wetzlarer Tage der Phantastik: Wetzlar, Germany. 5Contact: Phatastische Bibliothek, Domplatz 7, 35578 Wetzlar, Germany. (tel. +49-6441-99490; fax: +49-6441-99395)
* Hispacon: Spanish national Con, 4-6 October, Burjassot, Spain. Contact: Hispacon, c/o PO Box 2061, Principado de Andorra
* Masque 4: Costume Convention, 18-20 October, West Bromwich, UK. Att. 25UKP 'til 9 April, then 30UKP. Cheques payable: "Masque Four" Contact: Alan Cash, 130 Hamstead Hall Road, Handsworth Wood, Birmingham, B20 1 JB, UK.
* Hansecon: 24-28 October, Luebeck, Germany. Contact: Eckhardt Marwitz, Postfach 1524, 22905 Ahrensburg, Germany. (email: edmarwitz[at]texbox.lahn.de)
Novacon 26: 8-10 November, Birmingham, UK. Att. UKP25. Contact: 14 Park Street, Lye. Stourbridge, West Midlands, BY9 8SS, UK.
* Con-Fetti: 15-17 November, Carlton Beach Hotel, The Hague, Netherlands. GoH Bridget Wood, Martin Lodwijk, Leo Kindt. Att. DFl 55, supp. DFl 20. Contact: Annemarie van Ewijck, Obrechtstraat 4, 2517 VS The Hague, The Netherlands. e-mail: nicolas[at]stam.nl.
* Nordcon: 28 November – December, Gdansk, Poland. Contact: Gdanski Klub Fantastyki, PO Box 76, 80-325 Gdansk 37, Poland.
* Intervention: Eastercon, 28th-31st March, Liverpool, UK. GoHs: Brian Aldiss, Jon Bing, Octavia E Butler, David Langford. Att. 25 UKP 'til Easter 96 then 30 UKP, Supp. 15 UKP 'til Easter 96 then 20 (Cheques payable to 'Intervention'). Contact: Intervention, 12 Crowsbury Close, Emsworth, Hants, PO10 7TS, UK. (tel. 01234-376596, e-mail: intervention[at]pompey.demon.co.uk)
* Ratzecon: SFCD Con. 27-29 July, Ratzeburg, Germany. Contact: Christoph Luehr, Korvettenstr. 17, 23558 Luebeck, Germany. (tel. +49-451-895778)
* Lonestarcon 2: 28 August-1 September, San Antonio, TX, USA. Worldcon. Contact: LoneStar 2, Box 27277, Austin, Tx, USA, 78755.
* Euro-Octocon: (Eurocon) 24-27 October, Dublin, Ireland. Contact: Euro-Octocon, 211 Blackhorse Ave., Dublin 11, Ireland. (email: mmmchugh[at]tcd.ie; www:http://arrogant.itc.ici.ie/OctoCon.html)
* Bucconeer: 5-9 August, Baltimore, MD, USA. Worldcon. Contact: PO Box 314, Annapolis Junction, MD, 20701, USA.
Fans Across the World: Woodlice in hibernation, lights not gone off yet (probably won't, the residents of Walthamstow are wealthier than those of Tottenham... ho, hum). Things a little better still at home. Many thanks for information etc. to: John Bray, Nico Veenkamp, John Mansfield, Manfred Mueller, Piotr Cholewa, Richard Rampant, Gediminas Beresnevicius, Cyril Simsa, Elizabeth Vonarburg, Jean-Louis Trudel, SFFranco, Ellen Herzfeld, BEM, Roberto Quaglia, Martin Schuster, Peter Wilkinson, and others. I think I've fixed my mail-list bug. Please tell me if you are missing any issues. (Don't bother to tell me I sent you 5000 in December – I did that to all too many people :-)
******************** Page 3 ******************************
The Council meeting was held in Yverdon. It was decided by a very close vote to refer the decision about the Maison d'Ailleurs back for review. So there is still a chance.
Message via Dave Langford:
-- [ From: M. Anslin * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --
It is with great regret that I announce the death of Bob Shaw tonight (February 11) in Manchester England. He had just returned home from an extended stay in the US after his marriage to Nancy Tucker and was about to seek medical care.
Fortunately Bob was able to get around and meet with his family and closest friends before he died quietly in his sleep.
Misti for Larry Tucker and Nancy Shaw
-- Misti Anslin