B. Wilkinson, Ground Floor Flat, 8 West Avenue Road, Walthamstow, E17 9SE, Great Britain
bjw[at]cix.compulink.co.uk fax: 0181-925-7126
SF Market: The Stables Market under Camden Bridge, Camden Town, London, have set up an SF based market in the 'Catacombs', an area of passageways under old railway viaducts. It is artist/craftsman based, rather than commercial (I'm told), although obviously much of it is 'media-oriented'. Its official opening was on the 2nd November 1996, with half of British fandom invited. A 4000 person meeting centre is said to be being worked upon nearby. For more details ring +44-171-485-5511, or go to Camden Town tube station and start walking north...
Russia: Rumblings can be heard in Russia about the re-invention of the fannish convention. Recently the only regular SF event of any size has been Interpresscon, which has allowed in a few BNFs on sufferance, rather than the great unwashed of fandom at large. This is about to change. A new convention is being prepared in Moscow. Right now there are no exact dates, but the people in organizing committee are very serious about it. The con may be either next February or October, depending on the final financial situation. This new convention will replace the old Aelita and will be as "democratic" as possible. (Information from Yuri Savchenko)
Grand Prix de l'Imaginaire: French Novel: 'Inner City' by Jean-Marc Ligny (J'ai lu); Foreign Novel: 'Le Samourai virtuel' (work that one out! ed.) by Neal Stephenson (Laffont); French Novella: 'Le collier de Thasus' by Serge Lehman (appeared in ciel et Espace); Foreign Novella: Vous voyez et vous n'observez pas de Sawyer (appeared in Yellow Submarine); Translator: Guy Abadia (for Endymion).
Octocon/Eurocon: "The last couple of times I was in Dublin, I stayed at the youth hostels. I would steer people away from the Harcourt Street one (IIRC the address), but the main An Oige one is not bad, if a goodly walk from downtown." (Jean-Louis Trudel). I(ed.)'d agree totally on the An Oige Hostel, Abraham House (an independent) isn't too bad either, if you don't mind mixed sex dormitories.
Shameless Plugs: To most of my readers a plug for Ansible will seem plain daft. Nonetheless, if you haven't met it, try emailing Dave Langford at: ansible[at]cix.compulink.co.uk. (Wot? no snail address? – well if you got this on paper you probably got a copy of Ansible too :-)
Chris O'Shea publishes ConNotation, a list of Science Fiction Conventions. He occasionally manages to get hold of non-Anglophone conventions that I've missed, but his real strength is his listings of SF Media conventions, which I usually miss out unless I've been requested to list them, or they are going to be huge events. Try: http://www.compulink.co.uk/~magician/conlist.htm Chris' address is: Chris O'Shea, 38 Alexandra Road, Ashford, Middx, TW15 1 TP, UK. Enclose an international reply coupon unless you live in the UK, in which case a stamped addressed envelope will do.
(* = new or amended)
Dracon: 6-8 December 1996, Brno, Czech Republic. Contact: Dracon, PO Box 36, 612 00 Brno, Czech Republic (http://WWW.FI.MUNI.CZ/~ZRUSTEK/DRACON.HTML)
* Yulecon: 24-26 December, Birmingham, UK. **CANCELLED** Contact: Lorraine Pritchard, 56 York Road, Torpoint, Cornwall, PL11 2LG, UK.
Swancon 22: 24-27 January, Fremantle, Australia. GoH Howard Waldrop, Stephen Dedman & David Cake. Au$60 'til 1/10/96. Contact: PO Box 318 Nedlands WA 6009, Australia
* Harmon IX: 31 January-2 February 1997, Weston-Super-Mare, UK. Filk. Contact: Harmon IX, 3 West Shrubbery, Redland, Bristol, BS6 6SZ, UK.
TrinCon2: 21-23 February, Dublin, Ireland. GoH – vast numbers... Att. 15 IP prebooked, 20 IP on the door. Contact: TrinCon2, 40 Daniel Street, Dublin 8, Ireland. (email: sfsoc[at]maths.tcd.ie, http://www.esc.tdc.ie/-sfsoc/trincon)
* PicoCon: 2 March, London, UK. Att. 8UKP, (3UKP students). Contact: (Use email if possible) Imperial College Science Fiction Society, Imperial College Union, Beit Quad, Prince Consort Road, South Kensington, London SW7 2BB, UK. (email: icsf[at]ic.ac.uk, http://www.su.ic.ac.uk/clubsocs/scc/icsf)
9th SF Days NRW: 8-9 March, Dortmund, Germany. Att. 40DM 'til 28/2/97, 45DM on door. Cheque to: Konto 1555 95-500, BLZ 370 100 50, Postbank Koln. Contact: ScienceFiction Tage NRW Komitee, c/o S. Vockenberg, Hoevelstrasse 46, 45326 Essen, Germany.
* Intervention: Eastercon, 28th-31st March, Liverpool, UK. GoHs: Brian Aldiss, Jon Bing, Octavia E Butler, David Langford. Att. 35 UKP 'til 1/3/1997, then 50 UKP, Supp. 20 UKP 'til 30/11/96 then 25 (Cheques payable to 'Intervention') *NO* on the door memberships for security reasons. Membership closes 14/3/1997. Contact: Intervention, 12 Crowsbury Close, Emsworth, Hants, PO10 7TS, UK. (e-mail: intervention[at]pompey.demon.co.uk, www: http://ds.dial.pipex.com/minerva.tech/interven.htm)
Conspiracy: 18 NZ National SF con, 28-30 March, Wellington, New Zealand. GoH Pat Cadigan. Att. NZ$60/AU$54. Contact: PO Box 10104, Wellington, New Zealand. Email: concom[at]sans.vuw.ac.nz
SFerakon 97: national con, 20-22 April, Zagreb, Croatia. Theme: Communication. Att. 20$, Contact: Igor Mrkoci, Brace Cvijica 21, 10000 Zagreb, Croatia. (or email: Vlatko Juric-Kokic <vkokic[at]r101.com.hr>)
* 10 SF & Fantasy Festivel of Roanne: 23 April-4 May, Roanne, France. Contact: RHONE-ALPES S.F., Centre Mendes-France, 12 avenue de Paris, 42 334 ROANNE Cedex, France. (tel.: + 33-04 77 65 69 23, email: tabouletj[at]ardep.fr)
* Keycon 97: 16-18 May, Winnipeg, MB, Canada. GoH: Kevin J. Anderson, Margaret Weis, ArtGoH: Ruth Thompson, FanGoH: DDI. Att.: C$30 to 28 Feb 97. Contact: Keycon, PO Box 3178, Winnipeg, MB, R3C 4E7, Canada.
* Ad Astra 17: 14-17 June, Toronto, ON, Canada. GoH: Stephen Brust. Att.: C$25. 'til 31/12/96. Contact: Ad Astra, PO Box 7276, Station A, TORONTO, ON, M5W 1X9, Canada.
* Con-Version XIV: 18-20 July, Calgary, AB, Canada. GoH: Connie Willis, Kim Stanley Robinson. Contact: Con-Version, PO Box 1088, Station M, Calgary, AB, T2P 2K9, Canada. (tel. +1 (403) 259-3938 email: Garyf[at]nucleus.com)
Ratzecon: SFCD Con & Baltcon. 27-29 July, Ratzeburg, Germany. Att. 30Dm 'til 31/12/96, 35DM in 1997. Contact: Eckh. D Marwitz, Postfach 1524, D-22905 Ahrensburg, Germany. (tel. +49-(0)4531-86106, email: edm[at]texbox.lahn.de, http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepage/EDMarwitz)
2nd Northern Tolkien Festival: 8-10 August, Oslo, Norway. Info: http://www.uib.no/it/pers/edmmb/ntf97/
* Lonestarcon 2: 28 August-1 September, San Antonio, TX, USA. Worldcon. Rates rise 31/12/96. Contact: LoneStarCon 2, Box 27277, Austin, TX, 78755-2277, USA. (tel. +1-512-472-9944, fax: +1-512-472-4290, e-mail: lsc2[at]io.com, http://www.io.com/~lsc2/)
* Con*Cept 97: 26-28 September, Montreal, PQ, Canada. GoH: Lois McMaster Bujold, ArtGoH: Wayne Barlowe. Contact: Con*Cept, PO Box 405, Station H, Montreal, PQ, H3G 2L1, Canada.
Coachcon: 23&27 October, London-Portmeiron-Dublin-Portmeiron-London, UK/Ireland. SF con on coach to Euro-Octocon. Send SAE. Contact: Dave Lally, 64 Richborne Terrace, London, SW8 1AX, UK.
Euro-Octocon: (Eurocon) 25-27 October, Dublin, Ireland. Att. 20 IP, Supp. 10 IP Contact: Eurocon'97, PO Box 5130, Dublin 4, Ireland (email: rde[at]irelands-web.ie, http://www.irelands-web.ie/users/rde/eurocon.html)
World Fantasy Con: 31 October-2 November, London, UK. Contact: World Fantasy Con, PO Box 31, Whitby, North Yorkshire, YO22 4YL, UK.
* HispaCon 97: 31 October-2 November, Mataro (Nr. Barcelona), Spain. GoH: Orson Scott Card, Alfonso Font & Carlos Gimenez (artists). Contact: Mataro 97, HispaCon, Patronat Municipal de Cultura, Sant Josep 9, 08302 Mataro, Spain. (tel. +34-3-758.23.61, Fax +34-3-758.23.62, http://www.Catch22.COM/SF/BEM)
* Intuition: Easter, Manchester, UK. Att. 28UKP, Supp 15UKP. Contact: 1 Waverley Way, Carshalton Beeches, Surrey, SM5 3LQ, UK. (email: intuition[at]elsevier.co.uk)
INFINITY: 10-12 July, Cardiff, UK. SF/Media Con. Contact: (SSAE) Swn y Nant, 12 Stuart Street, Treherbert, Treorchy, Wales, UK, CF42 5PR. (email jonjo[at]hotmail.com, WWW – http://www.cf.ac.uk/ccin/main/ents/sffc/infinity.html)
Bucconeer: 5-9 August, Baltimore, MD, USA. Worldcon. Contact: PO Box 314, Annapolis Junction, MD, 20701, USA.
Interest expressed in 1998 Eurocon by Spain.
* Aussiecon III: 2-6 September, Melbourne, Australia. Worldcon. Contact: Aussiecon 3, GPO Box 1212K, Melbourne, 3001. Australia. (email: eric[at]maths.uts.edu.au)
Millenium: 27 December-2 January 2000, N Europe. Contact: Malcolm Reid, 186 Casewick Road, W.Norwood, London, SE27 0SZ, UK.
Bids for EUROCON 1999: Usti nad Labem, Czech Republic & Dortmund, Germany
Well, thanks to those of you who sent me corrections last time. Particular thanks to the fan who noted that I'd listed the same convention twice. No point in wasting good paper (or even bad paper,... or even a few gently spinning electrons).
Again, please send any new information or corrections to the address at the top of the previous page (or the top of the screen... – found your way back yet?), or the email or fax numbers.
Lastly, have a happy Christmas, New Year, Yule, whatever other festival you have, whether it be on the 25th of December or any other randomly placed day two weeks to either side.
Fans Across the World Many thanks for information etc. to: Joan Manel Ortiz, John Bark, Robert Elliot, Dave Lally, David Stewart, Jean-Louis Trudel, Ian Taylor, John Mansfield, Chris O'Shea, LoneStarCon, Yuri Savchenko, Peter Cohen, Alexandru Mironov, ICSF, Jean-Claude Dunyach, and others for help and information. Particular thanks to Gedeminas Beresnevicius, Alexandru Mironov, and my sister for the gifts of candlesticks/candle lanterns at various times which enabled this issue to be written when the main light socket to my living room decided that it had had enough, and collapsed in a heap of plastic powder on the floor. Result is, the last issue of Chris O'Shea's excellent convention listing and the ICSF flyer now have splashes of wax on them. Now I know what I'm doing on Sunday... Errmmm... no, and I can't spell Dun Laoghaire either, and it took a Canadian to tell me...