B. Wilkinson, Ground Floor Flat, 8 West Avenue Road, Walthamstow, E17 9SE, Great Britain
bjw[at]cix.co.uk fax: 0181-925-7126
Apologies for last month's absence. When I came to compile the issue from the 'dustbin' file FATWJUL7.NOT it had gone. Stupid me, I thought, although I couldn't see quite how I had deleted it leaving no signs for 'undelete' to find it by, or how I had forgotten to compile it, still.... By then it was too late to recompile, so I gave up and had an early night. (It's 20 past midnight already...). I knew I would do better this month. I set up a successor file FATWAUG7.NOT (...really imaginative these file names...) and started chucking prose into it. This evening when I started emptying it into the files that go to make up this issue I kept on reaching the same piece downloaded from a message by Chris Cooper again and again. First thought was that I was zipping back and forth too enthusiastically. Then I realised that when I reached the bottom of the file I reached the top of the file. Yes... Clunk. And the bottom wasn't the same any time I tried it. Also, I'd lost some of the data I'd put into FATWAUG7.NOT.
This could be the effects of entropy on Word Perfect 5.1 (I've met that before, it slowly crumbles away, eventually getting full blown dementia) I'll have to reload it, but problems with Deskpress still remain (repeated crashing). Damn, one of these days I'll be forced to migrate to Windows...
So, if I've lost your message, please send it again. And *NOT* as a Word 6 attachment! Thanks :-)
Nominations for these prizes include the following. There are other awards too, like short story, essay collection, etc. Have fun working out which the foreign novels are...
Best Novel: El coleccionista de sellos”, by Cesar Mallorque (en Premio UPC 1995, Ediciones B) El enfrentamiento, by Joan Carles Planells (Miraguano Ediciones) El silencis de eslet, by Jordi Sole y Camardons (Banca Privada de Andorra Editores) Tierra de nadie: Jormungand, by Rodolfo Martinez (Ediciones B)
Best Journal: Ad Astra (edita: Armando Boix y otros) BEM (edita: Interface Grupo Editor) Bucanero (edita: Pedro Alcántara y otros) El fantasma (edita: Luis Garcia Prado) SFX (edita: Ediciones Zinco)
Best Foreign Novel: Cetaganda, Lois McMaster Bujold (Ediciones B) Marte rojo, by Kim Stanley Robinson (Minotauro) Las naves del tiempo, Stephen Baxter (Ediciones B) Rito de cortejo, Donald Kingsbury (Ediciones B) Tiempos de gloria, by David Brin (Ediciones B)
I've had a number of fairly well substantiated reports that a convention earlier this year in Britain was giving the runaround to some neos, media fans, and foreigners, and other such 'undesirables' who had the temerity to enquire about membership. I'd listed the convention concerned under the apparent misapprehension that membership was open to all.
If your convention is the equivalent of a large private party, please tell me, and I won't bother to list it. If you like, I'll even put a note by its name saying that outsiders aren't wanted. I certainly don't want to end up again receiving complaints from people who've had a snotty brush off, it's a waste of my time, their time, and it creates very bad feelings all round.
Tim Illingworth and Marcia are getting married later this month (August) in the USA. Tim was Chair of Eurocon 1993 – Helicon, and of Contrivance, Camcon, and other British cons. More recently he's run the Smof server at Demon, helping out with contact between SF fans. Send best wishes to: Weddingcard[at]smof.demon.co.uk :-)
* = new or amended
2nd Northern Tolkien Festival: 8-10 August, Oslo, Norway. Info: http://www.uib.no/it/pers/edmmb/ntf97/
Quartercon: 15-17 August, Bergen, Norway. GoH: Katharine Kerr, Ingar Knudtsen. Theme: Building Universes. Att. NOK 200 'til June 23, NOK 250 afterwards. Contact: Quartercon, c/o Bjorn Tore Sund, Lobergsveien 100 A, 5032 Minde, Norway. (email: bjornts[at]ii.uib.no WWW: http://www.ii.uib.no/~bjornts/quartercon/)
Finncon'97: 16-17 August, Helsinki, Finland. GoH: Ian McDonald, Norman Spinrad. Free admission. Contact: Toni Jerrman, Junailijankuja 1 B 29, 00520, Helsinki, Finland. (email: Jukka Rasanen, jurasanen[at]phcu.helsinki.fi)
Bohemiacon 97: 21-24 August, Usti nad Labem, Czech Republic. Contact: SFK Nazca, PO Box 17, 400 01 Usti nad Labem, Czech Republic.
Lonestarcon 2: 28 August-1 September, San Antonio, TX, USA. Worldcon. Contact: LoneStarCon 2, Box 27277, Austin, TX, 78755-2277, USA. (tel. +1-512-472-9944, fax: +1-512-472-4290, e-mail: lsc2[at]io.com, http://www.io.com/~lsc2/)
* Polcon (Polish National Con): 11-14 September, Silesia, Poland. GoH: Rafal Ziemkiewicz (Western guests also invited – no answers yet). Contact: Piotr Cholewa, U. Szapirowa 1/24, 40-762 Katowice, Poland. (email: pcholewa[at]usctoux1.cto.us.edu.pl)
* 2nd Encounters with SF & Fantasy: 20-28 September, Cascais, Portugal. GoH: Gwyneth Jones, Karl Derrick. Contact: Maria Augusta, Associacao portuguesa de ficcao cientifica e fantastico, Bloco Uv – 2 Piso, Porta 11, Outeiro da Vela, 2750 Cascais, Portugal. (tel. +483 57 37 – Ext. 222, fax +483 46 89 or +482 20 68, e-mail: info[at]cm-cascais.pt)
Lausitz-Con '97: 26-28 September, Hoyerswerda, Germany. Phoenix Science Fiction Club, Sefan Biewald, Otto-Nagel-Str. 50, D-02977 Hoyerswerda, Germany
Filk CONtinental: 26-28 September, Burg Blankenheim, Germany. Con in a castle/youth hostel. Memberships close 30/6/1997. Contact: FilkContinental, Kirstin Scholz, PSF 023 545, D-10127 Berlin, Germany (email: LFAPEGASUS[at]aol.com)
Con*Cept/Boreal 97: 26-28 September, Montreal, PQ, Canada. Bilingual. GoH: Lois McMaster Bujold, Daniel Sernine, Artist GoH: Ronn Sutton, Janet Hetherington. Contact: Con*Cept, PO Box 405, Station H, Montreal, PQ, H3G 2L1, Canada. (email: jltrudel[at]vir.com)
* Nationalcon'97 (Romanian National Con): 26-28 September, Baile Herculane, Romania. Att. $10 'til 1/9/1997, then $25 international postal order to – Banque Commercial Roumaine No. 45 906 00 97 001. Contact: Matei Donea, Str. Rozelor Nr. 16, Apt. 3, RO 1671 – Otelu Rosu, Romania (fax +40 55-53 09 01)
* Hypotheticon: 27-28 September, Glasgow, UK. GoH: Anne Gay, Brian Waugh. Contact: Hypotheticon 97, Flat 3/L, 38 Scotstoun Street, Glasgow, G14 0UK, UK. (email: hypotheticon[at]ukonline.co.uk, http://web.ukonline.co.uk/hypotheticon/)
* Cyber-Fiction Cannes 97: 10-12 October, Cannes, France. SF conference/convention/film festival. Various guests from the film, academic and literary worlds. Contact: Comite Cyber-Fiction, c/o David Sice, 49 Av. Michel Jourdan, 06150 Cannes-La Bocca. France. (tel. +33 04 93.48.05.64, fax +33 04 18.104.22.168)
Coachcon: 23&27 October, London-Portmeiron-Dublin-Portmeiron-London, UK/Ireland. SF con on coach to Euro-Octocon. Send SAE. Contact: Dave Lally, 64 Richborne Terrace, London, SW8 1AX, UK.
* Euro-Octocon: (Eurocon) 25-27 October, Dublin, Ireland. Att. 30 IP, Supp. 10 IP. Can pay by credit card. GoH: Robert Jordan, Chris Reed, many other guests. Contact: Eurocon'97, PO Box 5130, Dublin 4, Ireland (email: karenb[at]eicon.com, http://www.iol.ie/~carrollm/eurocon)
World Fantasy Con: 31 October-2 November, London, UK. Contact: World Fantasy Con, PO Box 31, Whitby, North Yorkshire, YO22 4YL, UK.
* HispaCon 97: 31 October-2 November, Mataro (Nr. Barcelona), Spain. GoH: Orson Scott Card, Alfonso Font & Carlos Gimenez (artists). Contact: Mataro 97, HispaCon, Patronat Municipal de Cultura, Sant Josep 9, 08302 Mataro, Spain. (tel. +34-3-758.23.61, Fax +34-3-758.23.62, http://www.filnet.es/bemmag/mataro)
Cozycon: 14-16 November, Scheveningen, Netherlands. Att. NLG 50. Contact: Annemarie van Ewyck, Obrechstraat 4, 2517 VT Den Haag, Netherlands.
Novacon 27: 14-16 November, Great Malvern, UK. Att. 30 UKP 'til 30/9/1997. Contact: Carol Morton, 14 Park Street, Lye, Stourbridge, West Midlands, DY9 8SS, UK (tel. +44 1384-825386)
* STARCON97 (Star Wars Con): 30 November, Towngate Theatre, Basildon, UK. GoH inc.: Dave Prowse, Kenny Baker, Peter Mayhew. Att. 10 UKP, or 13 UKP on door, cheques payable to R MILEY. Contact: STARCON97(W), Nelson House, 341 Lea Bridge Road, London, E10 7LA, UK. (tel. +44-181 523 1074, fax +44-181 527 4860, email: starcon97[at]timescape.demon.co.uk, http://www.timescape.demon.co.uk)
Babylon 5 academic conference: 13-14 December, York, UK. Att. 75 UKP (inc. accommodation & food) Contact: Farah Mendelsohn, Faculty of Humanities, University College of Ripon and St John, Lord Mayor's Walk, York YO3 7EX, UK. (email: fm7[at]york.ac.uk)
Decadence: 6-8 February, Eastbourne, UK. Filk. Att. 24UKP. Contact: Decadence, Top Flat, 11 Evesham Road, Cheltenham, GL52 2AA, UK. (email: decadence[at]z9m9z.demon.co.uk; http://www.z9m9z.demon.co.uk)
10th SF-Days North Rhine-Westphalia: 21-22 March, Dortmund, Germany. GoH: Alan Dean Foster. Att. 40DM 'til 31/12/97, then 45DM 'til 15/3/98, 55DM at con. Contact: Torsten M. Frantz, Ruthstrasse 8/28, D-44149 Dortmund, Germany. (Ulrich Krause: tel. 0049/231/40 06 64, email: UlrichKrause[at]T-online.de)
Intuition: Easter, Manchester, UK. Contact: 1 Waverley Way, Carshalton Beeches, Surrey, SM5 3LQ, UK. (email: intuition[at]elsevier.co.uk)
Intercontact'98: 3-5 July, Oslo, Norway. International convention. GoH Gwyneth Jones, Pat Cadigan, Johannes Berg. Att. 15 UKP (Scandinavians NOK 200) 'til 31 May 1998. Contact: InterContact 98, PO Box 121 Blindern, 0313 Oslo, Norway. (email: elf[at]origo.no)
INFINITY: 10-12 July, Cardiff, UK. SF/Media Con. Contact: (SSAE) Swn y Nant, 12 Stuart Street, Treherbert, Treorchy, Wales, UK, CF42 5PR. (email jonjo[at]hotmail.com, WWW – http://www.cf.ac.uk/ccin/main/ents/sffc/infinity.html)
Bucconeer: 5-9 August, Baltimore, MD, USA. Worldcon. Contact: PO Box 314, Annapolis Junction, MD, 20701, USA. Att. $110 'til 30/9/97. (email: bucconeer[at]bucconeer.worldcon.org)
* HispaCon 98: 9-11 October, Burjassot, Spain. Contact: HispaCon, c/o BEM, ciencia ficcion y fantasia, P.O.Box 6092, 47080, Valladolid, Spain. (e-mail: bemjmo[at]filnet.es)
Spain (ie. HispaCon) has expressed interest in Eurocon 1998.
Aussiecon III: 2-6 September, Melbourne, Australia. Worldcon. Contact: Aussiecon 3, GPO Box 1212K, Melbourne, 3001. Australia. (email: julian[at]aussiecon3.worldcon.org)
Millenium: 27 December-2 January 2000, N Europe. Contact: Malcolm Reid, 186 Casewick Road, W.Norwood, London, SE27 0SZ, UK. (email: vdputte[at]simplex.nl)
Bids for EUROCON 1999: Usti nad Labem, Czech Republic & Dortmund, Germany
Both Canada (Torcon III – email: hancock[at]inforamp.net) and Germany (Berlin – http://ourworld.compuserve.com/EDMarwitz/internat.htm) are currently bidding for the 2003 Worldcon.
Fans Across the World Many thanks for information etc. to: Jean-Louis Trudel, Octocon, Dave Langford, Piotr Cholewa, Rafe Culpin, Joan Manel Ortiz, Catalin Grosu, Matei Donea, Karen Bollard, Chris Cooper, John Dallman, Jurgan Marzi, Tim Illingworth, Marcis, Cornel Secu, Piotr Cholewa, Oliver & Little Blue, and others. Please send any new information, corrections, etc., to the address over. The bathroom being done, except one carpet, I'm now tackling the living room. This is the reverse equivalent of archaeology. Above the hideous 1970s polystyrene tiles lies, hardboard and wooden carcassing, and above that a somewhat tobacco stained, but nonthelss lovely, moulded Victorian ceiling. The rest of the 1970s vandalism has to be removed with care, but it'll give me two feet more at the top of the room for books, although it will make the room a little colder and noisier.