B. Wilkinson, Ground Floor Flat, 8 West Avenue Road, Walthamstow, E17 9SE, Great Britain
bjw[at]cix.co.uk fax: 0181-925-7126
The 1998 Lituanicon/Baltcon (Vilnius 14-17/5) attracted some 400 attendees, including me, Jorgen and Audrone Stadje from Sweden. They had moved to a new excellent convention site, 100 metres down the road from the old site. I got a very good impression from the organizing efforts, which seemed to run very smooth (though I couldn't follow most of the program, that was in Lituanian – we had people help us to interpret some events, like the opening ceremony, the awards ceremnoy etc).
The theme of the con was The City of the Future, and I gave a speech on that subject, which went very well. There were artshows, gaming corners, booksellers, and 2-3 parallell program lines. Every evening they showed film in a commercial cinema close by (free of charge for con goers), and I saw eg. The Fifth Element (Lituanian sub-titles, not dubbed – but Russian films tend to be dubbed, which was unfortunate for me during the ferry trip Stockholm-Klaipeda, where they showed only Russian films in the video room). I also had some time to go out on town and eat with Lithuanian friends and see sights like the first (and only!) statue of the American rock star Frank Zappa, put up by Lithuanian Zappa fans in central Vilnius.
One expedition also went to a small market for pirate CD-ROMs, where all the titles were in Russian. For approx 4 pounds you could get a CD with ca 100 pirated games. (This business is NOT legal in Lithuania, but still lives on small backstreets. People I talked to said that the police sometimes had shown some interest and in a year or two the market for Russian pirate CD-ROMs might be closed down altogether.) The last evening of the con we had an informal very nice dead dog party in the club house of the organizing club Dorado, with pizza, snacks and local booze. The NEXT Lituanicon will be next spring/beginning of summer in Kaunas. The Finns have expressed some concern that they don't feel experienced to do Finncon combined with Baltcon. The Baltcon business meeting decided to empower the Baltcon board to appoint any suitable 1999 con as Baltcon (I hope that will be Finncon, but let's see). Another con on the way is: En battre konfekt 98, Uppsala (Sweden), 16-18 October, a well organized local fannish con, GoH book editor and old time fan Jorgen Peterzen. Info: johan.anglemark[at]bahnhof.se. (The name comes from two old con names the Uppsala fans earlier have used, En battre kongress (A better convention) and Konfekt (approx Candy), which they now seemed to have merged into one. The new name means approx A better piece of candy...)
Convention in St-Petersburg May 4-8. 130 attendees. Interpresscon awards. Novel: A.Lazarchuk, M.Uspensky Take a look at the beasts' eyes Novella: L. & Ye. Lukin Toupapaou or a Tale about evil wife Short story: V.Rybakov The Death of Ivan Illyich Non-fiction: Ye.Lukin Manifest on Cancellation of Verbs Short-short story: S.Loginov Anti-nicotinish Debut book: A.Legostayev Alvisid Heritager Artist (cover): A.Dubovik Artist (interior): V.Martynenko Publisher: AST (Moscow).
Bronze Snail (Awarded by Boris Strugatsky) Novel: B.Shtern Ethiopean Novella: Ye.Hayetskaya Obscurant Short story: A.Lazarchuk, M.Uspensky Komsomolets Mordovii Yellow Submarine Non-fiction: Ye Lukin Manifest on Cancellation of Verbs
From Marc Ortlieb's The Australian SF Bullsheet, get it at: http://www.vicnet.net.au/~sfoz/bullsheet.htm. Niall Doran reports Ditmars: Best Long Fiction: The White Abacus – Damien Broderick (Avon Books); Best Short Fiction: Niagara Falling – Janeen Webb & Jack Dann (Black Mist); Best Dramatic Presentation: Spellbinder 2 (9 Network); Best Artwork/Artist: Nick Stathopoulos; Best Fanzine: Eidolon; Best Fan Writer: Leanne Frahm; William Atheling Award: Sean McMullen & Steven Paulsen * Australia: Australian Contemporary Fantasy (Encyclopedia of Fantasy * Orbit).
* = new or amended
Intercontact'98: 3-5 July, Oslo, Norway. International convention. GoH Gwyneth Jones, Pat Cadigan, Johannes Berg. Att. 15 UKP (Scandinavians NOK 200) 'til 31 May 1998. Contact: InterContact 98, PO Box 121 Blindern, 0313 Oslo, Norway. (email: elf[at]origo.no)
Phancon 98: 11-12 July, Parramatta, Australia. Literary sf/fantasy con. GoH: Terry Pratchett, David Gemmell, Sara Douglass. Contact: kit (email kemil[at]ozemail.com.au or phone + 1800 817 298
Infinity: 10-12 July, Cardiff, UK. SF/Media Con. Att. 40UKP, Child 20 UKP. GOH: Diane Duaine, Peter Morwood, Jack Cohen, Lionel Fanthorpe, Danny Flynn, Andy Swayer, Colin Baker, Ed Bishop, David Banks, MJ Simo Simpson, Animation Company Siriol Productions (SuperTed) and the Cardiff Astronomical Society. Contact: (SSAE) Swn y Nant, 12 Stuart Street, Treherbert, Treorchy, Wales, UK, CF42 5PR. (email InfinitySciFiCon[at]hotmail.com, WWW – http://www.cf.ac.uk/ccin/main/ents/sffc/infinity.html)
HungaroCon 98: 23-26 July, Jozsef Attila Muvelodesi Haz, Salgotarjan, Hungary. Contact: tel. +36-32-317-496 (email: avana[at]scifi.hu; http://www.scifi.hu/hungarocon/)
Bucconeer: 5-9 August, Baltimore, MD, USA. Worldcon. Contact: PO Box 314, Annapolis Junction, MD, 20701, USA. Att. $130 'til 15/6/1998. (email: bucconeer[at]bucconeer.worldcon.org http://www.bucconeer.worldcon.org)
Bachanalia: 28-30 August, Zielona Gora, Poland. SF & wine festival. Contact: Piotr Cholewa, U. Szapirowa 1/24, 40-762 Katowice, Poland. (email: pcholewa[at]usctoux1.cto.us.edu.pl)
Dragoncon: 3-6 September, Atlanta, USA. Att. $40 'til 31/3/98, $50 'til 31/7/98. Contact: Dragon*Con, PO Box 47696, Atlanta, GA 30362-0696, USA. (dragoncon[at]dragoncon.org; http://www.dragoncon.org)
Polcon: Polish National Con: 10-13 September, Bialystok, Poland. Contact: Polcon'98, Podlaskie Towartzystwo Milosnikow Fantastyki, ul. Piastowska 11a, 15-207, Bialystok, Poland.
Fantasycon: 11-13 September, Birmingham, UK. Contact: Fantasycon, 46 Oxford Road, Acocks Green, Birmingham B27 6DT, UK.
* AKFT: 11-13 September, Warwick, UK. Att. 30 UKP. Contact: AKFT '98, 7 Belgrave Close, St Mary Cray, Orpington, Kent, BR5 3TJ, UK.
Edge of Empire: 19-27 September (core days towards end), Cascais, Portugal. Fees – complex – incl. membership & full board. Prices rise (considerably) 15/07/98, membership closes 31/8/98. Contact: Associacao Portuguesa de Ficcao Cientifica e Fantastico, Bloco UV, 2 Piso, Porta 11, Outeiro da Vela, 2750 Cascais, Portugal. (tel. & fax +351-1-484-1782; email: simetria[at]esoterica.pt)
Albacon 98: 25-28 September, Glasgow, Scotland. Contact: Albacon 98, Flat 1/2 10 Atlas Road, Springburn, Glasgow G21 4TE, Scotland. (email albacon[at]dial.pipex.com)
HispaCon 98: 9-11 October, Burjassot, Spain. Contact: HispaCon 98, Casa Municipal de Cultura, c/Mariana Pineda, 93-95, 46100 Burjassot, Valencia, Spain. (tel. (6) 364.22.06; Fax: (6) 390.13.59; WEB: http://www.burjassot.com; email: burjassot[at]ctv.es or gandiva[at]apdo.com)
* Octocon Lite: 10 October, Royal Marine Hotel, Dun Laoghaire, Ireland. GoH: James White. Att. 10IP/UKP, Concess. 8IP. Contact: Octocon Lite, c/o 43 Eglinton Road, Donnybrook, Dublin 4, Ireland. (email: dstewart[at]iol.ie – or in UK contact Dave Lally about an Octocon party weekend – +44-171-735-3819)
* En battre konfekt 98: 16-18 October, Uppsala, Sweden. Local fannish con. GoH: book ed. & old time fan Jorgen Peterzen. Info: johan.anglemark[at]bahnhof.se
KONKRET: October (2nd or 3rd weekend), Warsaw, Poland. Star Wars boot camp LARP con, + SF. Contact: Piotr Cholewa, U. Szapirowa 1/24, 40-762 Katowice, Poland. (email: pcholewa[at]usctoux1.cto.us.edu.pl)
* BOZ-CON: 20-22 November, Bergen op Zoom, Netherlands. Att: Dfl 65, pay Eurocheque 'NLSF-Conventions'. GoH: Tad Willians, Eddy C Bertin, Peter Schaap. Contact: AnneMarie van Ewyck, Obrechtstraat 4, 2517 VD Den Haag, The Netherlands. (fax: +070-3561215; email: vantent[at]few.eur.nl; http://www.simplex.nl/~wdputte/ncsf)
Dracon: Nov/Dec, Brno, Czech Republic. Contact: Dracon, PO Box 36, 612 00 Brno, Czech Republic (http://WWW.FI.MUNI.CZ/~ZRUSTEK/DRACON.HTML)
Nordcon: 3-6 December, Gdansk, Poland. Contact: Gdanski Klub Fantastyki, PO Box 76, 80-325 Gdansk 37, Poland (tel. +48-58-531073).
There will be no Eurocon in 1998.
World Horror Convention '99: 4-7 March, Atlanta, USA. GoH: John Shirley, Neil Gaiman, Lisa Snellings. Att. $65 'til 15/10/98, $75 'til 15/2/99, $100 on door. Contact: SAE to World Horror Convention '99, P.O. Box 148, Clarkston, Georgia 30021-0148, USA (email: HorrorCon[at]aol.com)
* ICON: 1-5 April, Perth, Australia. GoH Jack Dann, Sean Williams, Jenny Wurts, Dave Luckett. Att. $70 'til October. Contact: ICON, 11 GPO Box G429 Perth WA 6841, Australia. (http://www.iinet.net.au/~swancon/ ackerman[at]multiline.com.au)
* RECONVENE: (EASTERCON), April 2-5, Liverpool, UK. GOH: Peter Beagle, John Clute, Jeff Noon, Tom Holt, Ron Tiner. Att. 30UKP 'til 1/12/1998. Contact: Reconvene, 3 West Shrubbery, Redland, Bristol BS6 6SZ, UK. (email: mychelle[at]firedrake.demon.co.uk)
* Trinity – Eurocon 1999: 21st-24th May, Dortmund, Germany. Att. 99DM or 31 UKP 'til 3/12/1998, then 34 UKP. Multilingual (inc. English) programme. GoH: Sam J. Lundwall, Brian W. Aldiss, Harry Harrison, Terry Pratchett. Contact: Beluga Post (Chair), Frankfurter Weg 18, D-59439 Holzwickede, Germany. (tel. +49-2301-5785; fax +49-2301-5743; email: TRINITY[at]cbg.de; http://www.cbg.de/sf-tage-nrw). UK agent: Mike Cheater, 42 Elm Grove, Southsea, Hants., PO5 1JG, UK. Cheques payable: 'German Conventions'. (Tel +44 (0)1705 361350, email: mike[at]frasers.demon.co.uk)
* Wincon V: 13-15 August, Winchester, UK. GoH Diana Wynne Jones, John Barnes, Warren Ellis. Att. 20 UKP 'til 31/7/98, then 25 UKP. Contact: Wincon V, 53 Havant Road, North End, Portsmouth, Hants, PO2 7HH, UK (email: wincon[at]pompey.demon.co.uk; http://www.pompey.demon.co.uk/wincon.htm)
Finncon: 14-15 August, Turku, Finland. GoH Connie Willis. Contact: http://www.utu.fi/tsfs/finncon
* Conucopia (NASFIC): 26-29 August, Anaheim, CA, USA. GoH: Jerry Pournelle, Nicki & Richard Lynch, Ellen Datlow. Att. $80 from 5/7/98. Contact: Conucopia, c/o SCIFI, PO Box 8442, Van Nuys, CA 91409, USA (email: info[at]99.nasfic.org; www.99.nasfic.org). British agent: John Harold.
Aussiecon III: 2-6 September, Melbourne, Australia. Worldcon. GoH: George Turner, Greg Benford, Bruce Gillespie. Contact: Aussiecon 3, GPO Box 1212K, Melbourne, 3001. Australia. (email: julian[at]aussiecon3.worldcon.org; http://www.aussiecon3.worldcon.org)
Millenium: 27 December-2 January 2000, N Europe. Contact: Malcolm Reid, 186 Casewick Road, W.Norwood, London, SE27 0SZ, UK. (email: vdputte[at]simplex.nl)
Bid from Turku, Finland for 1999 Baltcon.
2Kon: Eastercon: Glasgow, UK: Contact: A^3 (Andrew A Adams), Chair, 2Kon, 15 Kersland Street, Glasgow G12 8BW, UK. (e-mail: 2kon[at]dcs.st-and.ac.uk, http://www-theory.cs.st-and.ac.uk/2Kon)
Eurocon 2000: 2-6 August, Gdynia, Poland. Att. 10 UKP. Contact: Gdanski Klub Fantastyki, PO Box 76, 80-325 Gdansk 37, Poland (tel. +48-58-531073).
* Chicon 2000 (Worldcon): 31 August-4 September, Chicago IL, USA. GoH: Ben Bova, Bob Eggleton, Jim Bean, Bob & Anne Passovoy. Contact: Chicon 2000, PO Box 642057, Chicago IL 60664, USA. (fax: +1-312-946-3779; http://www.chicon.org; email – chi2000[at]chicon.org)
Hogmanaycon: 29 Dec 2000 – 1 Jan 2001, Scotland. Contact: Hogmanaycon, c/o 26 Avonbank Road, Rutherglen, Glasgow G73 2PA, Scotland. (email: john[at]gelsalba.demon.co.uk)
2001: Worldcon bids: Philadelphia – phil2001[at]netaxs.com; Boston for Orlando – info[at]mcfi.org; KC in Boston 2K+1 (write in)
2002: Worldcon bids: Seattle – seattle2002[at]isomedia.com; San Francisco – info[at]sf2002.sfsfc.org
2003: Canada (Torcon III – email: info[at]torcon3.on.ca;http://www.worldhouse.com/worldcon-2003) is currently bidding for the 2003 Worldcon. There is also a bid in Mexico: Concancun – artemis[at]cyberramp.net
Fans Across the World Many thanks for information and help etc. to: Roger Robinson, without whom this issue simply wouldn't have taken place. Also: Marcus Rowland, Boris Sidyuk, Ahrvid Engholm, Marc Ortlieb, SFF, Ken Slater, Piotr Cholewa, Eric Arthur, and many others. Sorry if I've forgotten your name... Please send any new information, bribes, corrections, etc., to the address over. My date for the dissecting table is now 21 July (after 2 cancellations already), the next issue should be completely done by Roger...