B. Wilkinson, Ground Floor Flat, 8 West Avenue Road, Walthamstow, E17 9SE, Great Britain
bjw[at]cix.co.uk fax: 0181-925-7126
Last Saturday evening (28 November 1998), after an illness of several months, old time British fan Vincent Clarke died. Vincent, who helped me many times over the years, was involved in embryonic fandom before and during the Second World War, and was one of the main actors in British fandom during the fifties, involved in the publication of Hyphen, in the formation of TAFF, in the fan community at the Epicentre, and in the South/North feud that culminated in the London based Operation Armageddon plan to disrupt the 1954 Supermancon (both disruption and convention collapsed in chaos). Vince gafiated during the sercon sixties after personal problems left him literally holding the baby. Check out Rob Hansen's "Then" at www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/SF-archives/Then/Index.html for a full history.
A chance contact during the eighties (a fan historian discovered that a Clarke still lived in the old address, and gave it a try) brought him back into fandom, and with him a collection of fanzines that had been carefully stored since their publication in the 1950s. Vince catalogued these, and made them the basis of a fanzine library. I used his collection during the late 1980s, Rob Hansen has used them extensively in his research for Then. The old Hyphen group came together again to publish a new issue, although this time it used the new-fangled A4 paper format, but was still a reassuring shade of green. A series of issues of Pulp were among the other fanzines he was involved in. Vince wrote his fanzine catalogue using an Amstrad PCW (the computer used by many British fans during this period), and in time transferred to a PC compatible which was capable of accessing the Internet via Cix, under the user name Vincentian.
Over the years I took various non-British fans to see his collection of fanzines and SF books, unique in Britain at the time. More recently, partly as a result of Vince's example other libraries have been set up – Greg Pickersgill's Memory Hole (fanzines), Pat McMurray's Memory Hole Annex (Convention junk), and most recently the SF Foundation has started to collect chatty, duplicated onto rough paper with two staples fanzines, as well as more serious affairs full of deep rambling discussions of Jophan Smith's latest SF epic. After all, how else are we ever to discover who slept with who? (or that puerile piece that ******** had thought gone for ever).
To my mind, besides the excellent idea of a memorial anthology (see Dave Langford), one of the best memorials to Vince should be to keep these various collections running (and well fed with new material). After all, if we don't look after our own history, who the hell is going to do it for us?
Vince's funeral will be held next Monday, at 11:00 am, at Eltham Crematorium, in Falconwood. Eltham cemetary, containing the crematorium, is a short walk from Falconwood railway station. Their phone number is 0181 850 7046. IIRC, this is the same place where ATom was cremated. Vince being an atheist, this will be a Humanist ceremony. His daughter, Nicky, has suggested that we gather afterwards in a nearby pub, where she will arrange a small spread. This being so, she'd appreciate some rough idea as to how many people might be showing up so if you intend doing so please email me [Rob Hansen ed.] at rob[at]fiawol.demon.co.uk. Nicky has asked for no flowers but suggested instead that those of you who want to might care to make a donation instead to: The Arthritis Research Foundation, Copeman House, St. Mary's Court, St. Mary's Gate, Chesterfield, Derbyshire, S41 7TD, UK. The foundation is doing research into the condition which killed Vince. (Funeral details from Rob Hansen – Thanks!). US dollars can be handled by Geri Sullivan at: gfs[at]toad-hall.com.
This has been a bad month. Two weeks previously Australian fan Ian Gunn died after a long fight against cancer. Marc Ortlieb had carried regular grim, and grimly amusing, details of the latest news in his Australian SF Bullsheet. He was an important figure in Australian fandom, and will also be sorely missed. He is survived by his wife Karen.
I've got SF prize details, etc. to print – this stuff will be in the Jolly Extra Xmas Issue. :-(
(* = new or amended)
Dracon: Nov/Dec, Brno, Czech Republic. Contact: Dracon, PO Box 36, 612 00 Brno, Czech Republic (http://WWW.FI.MUNI.CZ/~ZRUSTEK/DRACON.HTML)
Nordcon: 3-6 December, Gdansk, Poland. Contact: Gdanski Klub Fantastyki, PO Box 76, 80-325 Gdansk 37, Poland (tel. +48-58-531073). (Email: gkf[at]thenut.eti.pg.pl)
Estelcon'98: Spanish Tolkien Society Conference, 5-8 Dec, Sabadell, Barcelona, Spain. Papers, live-RPG, arts, music, etc. Contact: Ms. Estela Gutierrez, C/San Cugat, 68-70, No.3-2a, 08201, Sabadell, Barcelona-SPAIN. (email: benadhim[at]iname.com)
3rd meeting of Fantasy & SF: 11-12 December, Mataro, Catalonia (Spain). (Email: sebastiao[at]ctv.es; http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Zone/7461/pedrolo.htm)
There will be no Eurocon in 1998.
World Horror Convention '99: 4-7 March, Atlanta, USA. GoH: John Shirley, Neil Gaiman, Lisa Snellings. Att. $75 'til 15/2/99, $100 on door. Contact: SAE to World Horror Convention '99, P.O. Box 148, Clarkston, Georgia 30021-0148, USA (email: HorrorCon[at]aol.com)
* ICON: 1-5 April, Perth, Australia. GoH Jack Dann, Sean Williams, Jenny Wurts, Dave Luckett. Contact: ICON, 11 GPO Box G429 Perth WA 6841, Australia. (http://www.iinet.net.au/~swancon/ackerman[at]multiline.com.au)
* RECONVENE: (EASTERCON), April 2-5, Liverpool, UK. GOH: Peter Beagle, John Clute, Jeff Noon, Tom Holt, Ron Tiner. Att. 30UKP 'til 31/1/99, 50UKP 'til 28/2/99, 80UKP on door. Supporting membership 15UKP 'til 1/2/99 – if bought before then can be upgraded for 15UKP on the door. If you have currency exchange problems contact Chris Bell at the con address immediately. Contact: Reconvene, 3 West Shrubbery, Redland, Bristol BS6 6SZ, UK. (email: mychelle[at]firedrake.demon.co.uk; http://www.firedrake.demon.co.uk/reconvene/))
* Arracon: 30 April-3 May, Elblag, Poland. Contact SF Klub Fremen via: http://www.fremen.rpg.vr.pl/
* Corflu: 30 April-2 May, FL, USA. Contact: S&S Vick, 627 Barton Avenue, Springfield, FL 32404, USA.
* Trinity – Eurocon 1999: 21-24 May, Dortmund, Germany. Att. 99DM or 31 UKP 'til 3/12/1998, then 34 UKP. Multilingual (inc. English) programme. GoH: Harry Harrison, Terry Pratchett, Ian Watson, Roger MacBride Allen, Eric Stillwell. Contact: Beluga Post (Chair), Frankfurter Weg 18, D-59439 Holzwickede, Germany. (tel. +49-2301-5785; fax +49-2301-5743; email: SFTageNRW[at]epilog.de; http://www.epilog.de/SFTageNRW). UK agent: Mike Cheater, 42 Elm Grove, Southsea, Hants., PO5 1JG, UK. Cheques payable: 'German Conventions'. (Tel +44 (0)1705 361350, email: mike[at]frasers.demon.co.uk)
Seccon: 28-30 May, Hertfordpark Hotel, Stevenage, GoH Stephen Baxter. Att. 17.50 UKP 'til 16/11/98, then 23UKP 'til 1/5/99, cheques "Seccon". Contact: Seccon, c/o 92 Lichfield Road, Cambridge, CB1 3TR, UK. (email: seccon[at]sjbradshaw.cix.co.uk; http://www.cix.co.uk/~sjbradshaw/seccon.html)
jUnicon: ?-? June, Stockholm, Sweden. (Email: lars-olov.strandberg[at]mailbox.swipnet.se)
* INCENSE AND INSENSIBILITY: SCIENCE FICTION, PSYCHEDELIA & THE 1960s & 1970s – academic conference: 12 June, Liverpool, UK. SF & and psychedelia in 60s & 70s culture. Call for paper: abstract & title to: Elliot Atkins: eja[at]liverpool.ac.uk; Andy Sawyer: asawyer[at]liverpool.ac.uk; Peter Wright: 113350.134[at]compuserve.com; or Incense and Insensibility Conference, Department of English Language and Literature, University of Liverpool, Modern Languages Building, Liverpool L69 3BX, UK. (fax: +44 (0)151 794 2730)
* Wincon V: 13-15 August, Winchester, UK. GoH Diana Wynne Jones, John Barnes, Warren Ellis. Att. 25 UKP. Contact: Wincon V, 53 Havant Road, North End, Portsmouth, Hants, PO2 7HH, UK (email: wincon[at]pompey.demon.co.uk; http://www.pompey.demon.co.uk/wincon.htm)
Finncon: 14-15 August, Turku, Finland. GoH Connie Willis. Contact: http://www.utu.fi/tsfs/finncon
Conucopia (NASFIC): 26-29 August, Anaheim, CA, USA. GoH: Jerry Pournelle, Nicki & Richard Lynch, Ellen Datlow. Att. $80 from 5/7/98. Contact: Conucopia, c/o SCIFI, PO Box 8442, Van Nuys, CA 91409, USA (email: info[at]99.nasfic.org; www.99.nasfic.org). British agent: John Harold.
Polcon: (Polish national con), 26-29 Aug, Warsaw, Poland. GoH: Tomasz Kolodziejczak, Leslaw Olczak. Contact: Konfederacja Fantastyki RASSUN, ul. Koszykowa 69/4, 00-667 Warszawa, Poland. (email: klub[at]rassun.art.pl; http://rassun.art.pl/polcon)
Aussiecon III: 2-6 September, Melbourne, Australia. Worldcon. GoH: George Turner, Greg Benford, Bruce Gillespie. Att. 225$Aus. Contact: Aussiecon 3, GPO Box 1212K, Melbourne, 3001. Australia. (email: info[at]aussiecon3.worldcon.org; http://www.aussiecon3.worldcon.org)
SPAWNCON TWO: 38th Australian National SF Con. 2-6 September, Melbourne, Australia. Contact: P.O. Box 215 Forest Hill Vic 3131, Australia. (http://www.vicnet.net.au/~sfoz/spawncon.htm)
Hypotheticon: 25-26 September, Glasgow, Scotland. Att. 15 UKP. Contact: Hypotheticon: 1999, Flat O/2, 11 Cleghorn Street, Glasgow. G22 5RN, UK. (Email: Hypotheticon1999[at]Hotmail.com)
Upsala:1999: Swedish National con. ?-? October, Uppsala, Sweden. (Email: johan.anglemark[at]bahnhof.se)
* Octocon 10: 9-10 October, Dun Laoghaire, Ireland. GoH: Rober Rankin. Att. 14IP 'til Easter 99, then 18IP 'til 09/99, 22 IP on the door. Contact: Octocon, c/o 43 Eglinton Road, Donnybrook, Dublin 4, Ireland. (email: dstewart[at]iol.ie)
Canvention/inCONsequential: October 15-17, Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada. (Email: badavis[at]nbnet.nb.ca (Brian A. Davis))
* Novacon 29: 5-7 Nov, Birmingham, UK. GoH: Ian Stewart. Att. 28 UKP 'til Easter 99. Contact: Carol Morton, 14 Park Street, Lye, Stourbridge, West Midlands, DY9 8SS, UK. (Email: martin[at]empties.demon.co.uk; http://www.cooky.demon.co.uk/n28/n28.html)
* Cozy-Con: 19-21 November, Scheveningen, Netherlands. Att. 50 NLG. Annemarie van Ewyck, Obrechtstraat 4, 2517 VT Den Haag, Netherlands (email: cozycon[at]cena.demon.nl)
Millenium: 27 December-2 January 2000, N Europe. Contact: Malcolm Reid, 186 Casewick Road, W.Norwood, London, SE27 0SZ, UK. (email: vdputte[at]simplex.nl)
Bid from Turku, Finland for 1999 Baltcon.
* ReConnaissance: 31 March-2 April, Bergen, Norway. Att. 200NKr. Contact: ReConnaissance, PO Box 1195, N-5001 Bergen, Norway. (email: reconnaissance[at]fandom.no)
2Kon: Eastercon: Glasgow, UK: Contact: A^3 (Andrew A Adams), Chair, 2Kon, 15 Kersland Street, Glasgow G12 8BW, UK. (e-mail: 2kon[at]dcs.st-and.ac.uk, http://www-theory.cs.st-and.ac.uk/2Kon)
Eurocon 2000: 2-6 August, Gdynia, Poland. Att. 10 UKP. Contact: Gdanski Klub Fantastyki, PO Box 76, 80-325 Gdansk 37, Poland (tel. +48-58-531073; email: gkf[at]thenut.eti.pg.pl; http://thenut.eti.pg.pl/gkf/)).
Chicon 2000 (Worldcon): 31 August-4 September, Chicago IL, USA. GoH: Ben Bova, Bob Eggleton, Jim Bean, Bob & Anne Passovoy. Contact: Chicon 2000, PO Box 642057, Chicago IL 60664, USA. (fax: +1-312-946-3779; http://www.chicon.org; email – chi2000[at]chicon.org)
* Hogmanaycon: 29 December 2000 – 1 January 2001, Glasgow, Scotland. Att. 25 UKP 'til 4/99, then 30 UKP. GoH: Spider & Jeanne Robinson, Sydney Jordan, Archie Roy, Vince Docherty, Oscar Schwigelhofer. Contact: Hogmanaycon, c/o 26 Avonbank Road, Rutherglen, Glasgow G73 2PA, Scotland. (email: john[at]gelsalba.demon.co.uk)
The Millenium Philcon (Worldcon): 30 August-1 September, Philadelphia, PA, USA. GoH: Greg Bear, Stephen Youll, Gardner Dozois, George Scithers. Contact: Suite 2001, 402 Huntingdon Pike Rockledge, PA 19046 USA. (email: phil2001[at]unix3.netaxs.com; www.netaxs.com/~phil2001/)
UK Eastercon bid: * Paragon, Blackpool, UK. Contact: S. Lawson, 379 Myrtle Road, Sheffield, S2 3HQ, UK (email: members.paragon[at]keepsake-web.co.uk; http://www.keepsake-web.co.uk/paragon)
Worldcon bids: (* Seattle – withdrawn;) San Francisco – info[at]sf2002.sfsfc.org, http://www.sfsfc.org/worldcon/
Fans Across the World. Many thanks for information and help over the years from Vincent Clarke. Thanks for recent help and contact from: Ken Slater, Jon Cowie – whose answerphone message I have yet to have the heart to erase, Marc Ortlieb, Ahrvid Engholm, Roger Robinson, Rob Hansen, and last but not least, Chuch Harris. Thanks also to Dave Lally, Larry van der Putte, the Boz-Con crowd, and others for convention info and other help. Index.html